12.27.2009

A Soul on Fire

"... every great artist is a man who has freed himself from his family, his nation, his race. Every man who has shown the world the way to beauty, to true culture, has been a rebel, a "universal" without patriotism, without home, who has found his people everywhere." ~ As quoted in Chaim Potok's "My Name is Asher Lev"

Sometime my soul quivers at the thought of the life I am choosing for myself. To be an artist... to devote every ounce of talent, energy, drive, and passion that you have to the fickle and cruel Muses... that is a hard thing. Who says I am enough? Who says that the song in my heart is worthy to be shared? Who ever says anything is enough?

The quote above struck a chord in my heart, because I am not a rebel. I can be rebellious, I can be "set-apart" and alone, but ultimately, I am not a rebel, because I have chosen allegiance to my heavenly King. And I must always be on guard to keep myself from being pulled away from Him.

But while I languish in not knowing the answers to those questions, I rest in the security that I must sing, that I must develop the talent God has chosen to give me. Oh God, help me, for I have chosen the impossible - to give myself first and foremost to You, and second to Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment